If you want to learn how to make dumplings in five easy steps, continue reading!
At first glance, dumplings may seem difficult to make at home. However, when done correctly, they are the staple of a delectable meal that your whole family will love. Set a lot of time aside, because making dumplings is a long process, but the results will be worth every minute.
Easy Dumpling Recipe
While there are many different types of dumplings and all kinds of ways to make them, oftentimes the best dumpling recipe is one that is simple and original. Below, we’ve shared an easy dumpling recipe that is great for beginners and will provide you with exceptional results.
- Make the wrappers. For your dumpling wrappers, you will need all purpose flour and water to make the dough. A ratio of about two cups of flour and half a cup of water should do the trick. If you prefer a softer wrapper, add cornstarch to the flour. If you prefer a wrapper with a pull, try adding a pinch of salt to the dough. Once the rough dough ball is formed, cover and leave to rest for about 10 minutes. Then, knead the dough into a smooth ball, and leave to rest again for 30 minutes. Once soft, roll the dough into a rope and cut into 7-8 equal sections. Press each piece into a small circle.
- Perfect the filling. When making a classic pork dumpling, add your pork to a mixing bowl. Next, add scallions, ginger, Sichuan pepper, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil and a pinch of salt. Add each ingredient to preference and taste. Then, add water to the meat until the liquid is no longer visible. Salt your celery and leave rest for 10 minutes to be rid of any water. Add celery to your pork mixture, and mix with coriander.
- Fill and fold. Take one of your dumpling wrappers and add about a tablespoon of filling to the center. Then, simply fold over your dumpling wrapper, and pinch the ends together to seal tightly. Other dumpling designs and folding methods are also acceptable, as long as your dumplings are tightly sealed to avoid the filling from spilling out.
- Boil your dumplings. While you can cook your dumplings by frying or steaming them, boiling your dumplings to cook is the fastest and easiest way to cook them. In a pot of boiling water, add your dumplings. Move your dumplings around and cover the pot for faster results. Once the water boils again, add a cup of cold water to the pot. Repeat this step three times. After the water boils when the third cup of cold water is added, your dumplings will be fully cooked. Rinse and dry to avoid stickiness.
Now that you have finished making your water boiled dumplings, it is time to move on to one of the most important elements to dumpling making.
Dumpling Sauce Ideas
Making your dumpling sauce is the fifth and final step, and as seen on our website there are plenty of varieties that you can choose from! Here are three of our sauces that you can make with simple ingredients at home.
- A soy ginger sauce will give a great balance to your dumplings’ sweet taste.
- While the cranberry chili sauce has a sweeter taste, the chili brings spice and a different texture to your dumplings.
- Want a mix of sweet and tangy? The honey soy sauce should be perfect for your taste buds and will especially complement your pork dumplings.
We hope that this straightforward recipe was easy to follow and offered delicious results! Please check out our Where To Buy page for more information on our products and how to perfect Chinese cuisine at home.